Department of Defense Cyber Scholarship Program
“The Department of Defense (DoD) Cyber Scholarship Program (CySP) is authorized by Chapter 112 of title 10, United States Code, Section 2200. The purpose of the program is to support the recruitment of new cyber talent and the retention of current highly skilled professionals within the DoD cyber workforce. Additionally, this program serves to enhance the national pipeline for the development of cyber personnel by providing grants to institutions of higher education”
Undergraduate – full tuition, $25,000 stipend + more
Graduate – full tuition, $30,000 stipend + more
Submit Student Applications to: Dr. Nasir Memon, firstname.lastname@example.org before February 10th, 2020.
To be eligible for the DoD Cyber Scholarship you must:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be a citizen of the United States at the time of application. Note, if family members are not U.S. Citizens, some DoD Agencies may be unable to process the applicant (student) to the security clearance level required. Every effort will be made to assign eligible students at an Agency without such restrictions.
- You must be enrolled (or accepted for enrollment) in NYU Tandon or NYU Courant.
- You must have completed (or by August 2019 will have completed) at a minimum the first two years of an undergraduate degree program and be eligible to (a) begin either the third or fourth year of an undergraduate degree program; (b) begin the first or second year of a Master’s degree program; or (c) pursue doctoral studies
- You must be pursuing a course of study and/or have a declared major in one of the scientific, technical, or managerial disciplines related to cybersecurity or with a concentration in cybersecurity. For degree and field of study eligibility, please check the solicitation documentation for detail.
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
Once in the program:
- Sign a written agreement obligating you to work for the Department of Defense, as a civilian employee for one calendar year for each year of scholarship assistance
- Serve in internship positions, if timing permits, with DoD organizations during the time you are receiving scholarship support
- Agree to a security/background investigation (for internships and future DoD employment). Drug tests or other suitability processing will occur as appropriate.
- Maintain good academic standing: 3.2 out of 4.0 GPA (undergraduates); 3.5 out of a 4.0 GPA (graduates)
Complete the full student application process including:
- The CySP Student Application completely filled out and signed. (Attachment D)
- Separate sheet highlighting recognitions, honors and awards. You may attach a separate sheet of plain 8 ½” x 11” paper on which you record your responses or the continuations of your responses. On each such page, indicate your name.
- Supplemental Academic Sufficiency Statement. You must complete the Statement of Academic Sufficiency supplement to the OF612, to which you must attach the following additional supplemental statements:
- One (1) Letter of Reference from a current faculty member who is fully knowledgeable of your potential for successful learning, your knowledge, and your ability. See remainder of application package for instructions about the content of this Letter of Reference. Letters must be on University letterhead and contain the full name and contact information of the faculty member (phone, email, and address).
- One (1) additional Letter of Reference from either a current or former faculty member, or a current or former supervisor who is fully knowledgeable of your potential for successful learning, your knowledge, and your ability. See remainder of application package for instructions about the content of this Letter of Reference. Letters must be on official letterhead and contain the full name and contact information of the faculty member or current/former supervisor (phone, email, and address).
- Official (certified) Transcripts from all the institutions of higher learning you have attended.Electronic transcripts may be accepted as long as they are certified by the institution. NOTE: University POCs processing applications for submission may open the transcripts.
- Supplemental Competency Statement: Knowledge, Skills and Attributes: You must complete the OF612 Supplemental Competency Statement with narrative responses that describe the level of your attainment of the knowledge and ability factors indicated. See remainder of application package for instructions about the content of this supplemental statement.
- Signature of the Supplemental Statement of General Academic and Employment Conditions. If you agree with the all of the academic and employment conditions required for your receipt of scholarship assistance and appointment under the CySP, and wish to be considered for it, you must sign the OF612 Supplemental Statement of General Academic and Employment Conditions, which is the last page of the Attachment D, Student Application.
For more information, contact Dr. Nasir Memon via email at email@example.com